訪訪~ゆふいんさんぽ

神社仏閣・史跡・文化財

Take a walk to shrines, temples and landmarks of Yufuin with long histories.

西蓮寺(さいれんじ)

Sairenji Temple was established in 1606 and is the oldest Buddhist temple building in Yufuin. The existing hipped roof style building is the one restored in 1754.
The coffered ceiling of this main building is filled with 226 ink-wash paintings of Fumio Takuma, a well known modern painter of Oita Prefecture.In the 2,300 m2 precincts, are a 250 years old wisteria and a number of Ebine Orchids. In flowering season, a number of people come visit here for blossoms and flowers.

若宮八幡社(わかみやはちまんしゃ)

Wakamiya-hachiman-sha Shrine started in 823, when they summoned the god of Hachiman from the head shrine in Usa.
Here, we can taste clear spring water.
Water springs out from the rocky cliff in the west side of shrine and is designated as one of "Toyo-no Kuni Famous Waters" in 1988. This is the head water of "Miyakawa", a tribute of Oita River.

大杵社(おおごしゃ)

Ogo-sha is a subordinate of Unagi-hime Shrine and was established around the same period. So it may go back to the age of mythological Emperor Keiko.
The great cedar tree of this shrine was designated as a national important cultural asset in 1934. It measures 13.5 m around the base and 35 m high and is more than 1000 years old.
Near the roots is a cavity around 5 m2. In the new year's eve of 1897, fire got into this cavity and it continued to burn for 2 years 2 month and 2 days. People say they saw smokes gashing out from the top part 30 m up in the sky.
Every body thought the tree was killed. However it gained power after this incident. May be the pests were swept out by the fire and smoke.

六所宮(ろくしょぐう)

The shrine is known as "Rokusho-sama" or the respectful six gods and it now enshrines six shinto gods.
The proper name is of the shrine is "Unagi-hime Jinja Shrine", but this lady god Unagi or Princess Eel is not included in the six gods.
People of Yufuin have been struggling with water. Our ancestors might have worshiped eel as a spirit of marshes and created this shrine.
Rokushogu use to have a fairly wide precincts and from there, trees were repeatedly cut down for special usages. A historical document records that in late 16th century, when Samurai lord "Otomo Yoshimune" ruled the area, the shrine offered the trees to built great "Yusuhara Hachiman Shrine", the first shrine of the Bungo area in Oita city.
In 1991, Super Typhoon Mireille knocked down all the huge cedars here and you can see the enshrined sumps now.

佛光寺(ぶっこうじ) 

This is an old temple and its record goes back to 1417.

Climbing up a steep stone steps, you will see the main building in front and "Roku-jizo" statue built in 1524 on the right. Statues are designated as a prefectural important cultural asset. In the east side stands a great ginkgo tree, said to be more than 200 years old and the largest in town.

新・四国八十八ヶ所

This is a miniature pilgrimage circuit created in 1909 for people who wished but could not go Shikoku pilgrimage.
It was very popular at the time, but it devastated during and after WWII.
Starting from 1994, local people of Nuruyu district reconstructed and reserved the circuit. In 1997, it was all restored to the original status.

Here, you can worship all 88 hallowed ground summoned from Shikoku.

興禅院(こうぜんいん)

Kozenin attracts people as a temple where Zenkai, a model of Hiroshi Kikuchi's popular novel “Onshu no Kanata Ni (Beyond the pale of vengeance)” became a monk.
Zenkai vowed to dig a tunnel in Yabakei valley to save people and dedicated to 30 years to built what is now known as Aonodomon (Blue tunnel). Old Kozein buildings were lost in fire in 1973 and were restored with fire proof materials.

佛山寺(ぶっさんじ)

Close to Lake Kinrinko, with a view of Mount Yufu and surrounded by the nature of Yufuin, this is a valuable Buddhist temple to the people of Yufuin.
Temple history tells around a thousand years ago, a monk received an oracle at Kirishima Shrine, came to Mount Yufu, built a monastery and enshrined a statue of Kannon bodhisattva he curved there.
Since then, the monastery became the center of Mount Yufu's hallowed ground but in 1596, Kannon statue fell down to the mountain valley by a great earthquake. Villagers picked statue up and built the temple here.

天祖神社(てんそじんじゃ)

Area around Lake Kinrinko is now a popular sight seeing spot visited by many people. But several years back, villagers carrying fresh water on their backs every morning and evening were a familiar sight here.

This local shrine has been attracting children of Nuruyu district. You can see spring water originated in Mount Yufu pourling down from the both sides of shrine.

The Shrine stands against Lake Kinrinko. In the center, Tenso Jinja Shrine, on the right hand side Yasaka Jinja Shrine, on the left hand side Konpira Jinja Shrine is enshrined.

旧日野病院

Hino family is a doctor family over generations. This building was built by Mr. Kaname Hino in 1894. The style is called Gi-yofu. It resembles Western style buildings but was constructed with traditional Japanese techniques.
It is the oldest building of this style in Oita and unique among other buildings in Japan therefore designated as a national important cultural asset in 1999.
It has a balcony on top of main entrance, relief of cloud and dragon, circular arch window, plaster work on the door container box, bed in the consultation room, very classic X ray machine, spiral staircase, alcove posts of sandalwood, ebony and Bombay-black-wood, lavatory with tatami floor; building fee all together was 20, 000 yen when carpenters were paid 54 cents a day.
このページの先頭へ